When looking to create a subdued atmosphere in a room, many homeowners opt for a monochromatic color scheme – using just one color. But will the use of just one hue make a space look boring?
Absolutely not! When decorating with a sophisticated, monochromatic color scheme, make your room interesting with these tips.
– Use various tints and shades of your chosen color in the room palette. A blue room, for example, can comprise of pale blue walls, mediudm blue draperies, and a dark blue sofa.
– Pair your one color with white or another neutral. That same blue room can include white trim and a blue and white patterned area rug.
– Add personality with contrasting textures. Combine smooth woods, woven textiles, and plush fabrics. Throw a shiny silk pillow on a chenille couch. Put a thick sisal rug on a glossy floor. Texture is a great way to add life to a monochromatic scheme.
– Don’t be afraid of pattern. In a monochromatic room, you don’t usually have to worry about getting too busy. Patterns look beautiful when they combine many shades of your one color.
– Get dramatic with your lighting. Make sure you light the room from all levels – from the top down (recessed lights), from the center out (table and floor lamps), and from the bottom up (up-lights). The light and shadows that you create will add depth to the room.
– Accessorize! Adding a variety of shapes – in your chosen color as well as neutrals – will enhance the monochromatic mood.
Use these ideas, and you can carry off your monochromatic space with high style.